Translate

Monday, November 30, 2015

THIS SHOULD GIVE US STEP-CHILDREN IN THE ORDINARY FORM OF THE LATIN RITE GREAT HOPE AND JOY: CARDINAL ROBERT SARAH AND I THINK ALIKE! COMMENTING ON THE NEW ANGLICAN ORDINARIATE'S "DIVINE WORSHIP, THE MISSAL OF POPE FRANCIS, THE GOOD CARDINAL EXCLAIMED AS I DID AND DO: "WHY CAN'T WE HAVE SOMEHTING LIKE THIS?" INDEED!!!!!

 IMG_9626
IMG_9566
Fr. John Hunwicke in England (I wonder if John Nolan knows him), a married priest of the Anglican Ordinariate and incardinated into the Personal Ordinariate of our Lady of Walsingham and author of the blog, "Fr. Hunwicke's Mutual Enrichment" comments on Pope Francis' "Divine Worship, The Missal":
 
"Advent Sunday! And a new start! From today, the Ordinariate Missal is authorized in all three Ordinariates. The formal authorizing document, signed by Cardinal Sarah (who is reported to have commented "Why can't we have something like this?"), makes clear that it is granted by virtue of faculties conferred on the CDW by the present Sovereign Pontiff the Holy Father Pope Francis. So, just as the post-Conciliar Missal is known as the Paul VI Missal, so, for the rest of time, this Missal will be the Pope Francis Missal! When everything else... is... forgotten, by this [His Holiness] will be remembered!  Exegerit monumentum aere perennius!

Viva il Papa! Viva Francesco! Vivant omnes!"

My comments:  The question,"Why can't we have something like this?" coming from Robert Cardinal Sarah, the Prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship tells us that we will get something like this especially since Pope Francis has already signed off on a Missal that will be known by his name as Fr. Hunwicke so astutely states!

What we in the ordinary Ordinary Form of the Mass don't need, though, is the Anglican/Episcopal-use parts of this marvelous, superior Missal  of Pope Francis. 

Let me explain. The EF Mass was known for its sobriety. In addition it isn't wordy or pedantic. The Ordinary Form has often been described critically as too wordy, especially with the spontaneous, banal words the celebrant may use here and there at his own discretion. 

The Anglican Ordinariate Missal of Pope Francis, which is intrinsic to the Anglican/Episcopal liturgy, is wordy and often has useless redundancy and is pedantic. 

Let me show you what the Anglican Ordinariate Missal of Pope Francis incorporates from the Anglican/Episcopal Wordy tradition that our revised Missal won't need and shouldn't have. Let me just say that these accretions are wonderful prayers that could be prayed silently during any Mass by anyone or in private devotions, I just don't like them asinstitutionalized use in the Ordinary Form :

1. The Anglican Prayer for Purity prayed after the Prayers at the Foot of the Altar and the Summary of the Law both of which precede the Kyrie after the Introit is chanted. 

2. Then after the Universal Prayer (The Prayers of the People) which follows the Creed, there is another Penitential Rite with a lengthy Anglican/Episcopal "Act of Contrition".

3. Then follows "The Comfortable Words" several Scripture sentences from different books or letters of the New Testament.

4. Then following the Agnus Dei, is the "Prayer of Humble Access" which both priest and congregation say aloud followed by the Ecce Agnus Dei.

5. Then after Holy Communion but prior to the Prayer after Holy Communion (Post-Communion Prayer) the priest and congregation say a common Anglican Prayer of Thanksgiving.

While I think I could get use to the archaic old English used in the Anglican Ordinariate Missal of Pope Francis, I would be satisfied with our new and glorious English translation of our Latin Missal that incorporates all that the Anglican Ordinariate Missal of Pope Francis but without the Anglican/Episcopal little "t" traditions I highlight above. 

However, I do recall in the 1960's many parishioners at my parish lamenting that the English for the new Mass didn't use the Old English that we had come to love by using our personal pew missals which used the "sacral" Old English in translating the Mass from Latin. Of course these Missals used translators of their own, thus the English in these missals were never official English translations of the Mass from the Magisterium.

I lust also after the Anglican Ordinariate's reform of Pope Francis of the Ordinary Form Calendar that is clearly in continuity with the EF calendar but keeping the best of the Ordinary Form reform also. 

And now I humbly ask Cardinal Robert Sarah to say to us step children in the Ordinary Form of the Latin Rite:

HABEMUS PAPAM FRANCISCUM'S' "DIVINE WORSHIP, THE MISSAL" WITHOUT THE ANGLICAN/EPISCOPAL ACCRETIONS! HABEMUS OUR VERY OWN POPE FRANCIS' MISSAL!!!!! DEO GRATIAS!!!!

16 comments:

Michael (Quicumque Vult) said...

Oremus, Pater reverende! And let us do so constantly and humbly, so that things don't wind up even worse than they are now.

Anonymous said...

I really hope this to be true. I have to laugh because I feel somewhat like a kid having a temper tantrum, kicking on the ground screaming "it isn't fair, it isn't fair," at what the Anglican Ordinariate has compared to what we in the OF of the Latin Rite have.

The vast, vast majority of Catholics are only exposed to the OF of the Mass, in the short term the best thing that could possibly happen is the re-sacralization of the Ordinary Form. I was surprised recently at a large number of seminarians I met (I'm in my 20's), I expected all of them to be secretly learning the TLM behind the back of those in charge of the seminaries. What I was surprised to find was that very few of them were learning the TLM, they have no animosity towards it, but the vast majority were just interested in celebrating the OF with reverence (i.e. Ad Orientum, Roman Cannon, etc), I was pretty shocked by this as I had always assumed that every seminarian was learning the TLM in secret.

This is why I think that re-introducing elements of the TLM into the OF has got to be the way to go, and I think these seminarians realize that.

I was recently at a Mass at a cathedral. There was incense, Latin, organ/choir. The only thing I think that would have made it better would be ad orientum, and kneeling for communion. I've been to the TLM many, many times, as well as various Eastern Catholic parishes, I consider myself a traditionalist, but I have to say I do love the OF of the Mass when done correctly, it reminds me of the Eastern Catholic parishes I've been to, but actually with LESS "active participation" than Divine Liturgy.

A lot needs to be done to the OF, that I definitely know, but introducing these elements would go a long way. There might be a "fuss" from some Catholics, you would have thought that Armageddon was happening when the new translation came out in 2011, but the vast majority of Catholics just went along with it without complaint, I think the clergy vastly overreacts to what they think the laity will respond to.

Anonymous said...

Recommend you avoid using "step-children" to refer to second-class persons or groups. Parents of step-children and step-children themselves love and are loved and cared for as other children.

Fr. Allan J. McDonald said...

O my! Cinderella is on the list of forbidden books now and seen as politically incorrect? My father had a step mother, was 't that grat for him or her!

Anonymous said...

Seems only you have a list of forbidden books . . .

Murray said...

Ha. Well, you're probably right about the verbosity, Father, but I actually like all those vocal prayers in the Ordinariate liturgy, since I have a mind that tends to scamper like a startled sheep at the slightest distraction. (Not that it matters in the slightest what I like, since it's not up to me anyway.) All those prayers help me focus on why I'm there and the awesome nature of what I'm about to do.

But given all the other wonderful qualities of the Ordinariate Divine Worship, I certainly wouldn't turn up my nose at an OF version with those prayers absent--or even better, printed in the missal to be prayed silently at the appropriate moment.

Mark Thomas said...

Pope Francis' Missal calls into question two supposed comments attributed to His Holiness...or suggests that Pope Francis has changed his attitude in regard to liturgy.

"The carnival is over"

"The story goes that when the papal Master of Ceremonies, Monsignor Guido Marini, started to place the mozzetta on Francis, he responded: "You put it on! The carnival is over."
----------------------------------------------------

"Bishop Venables, the former primate of the Anglican province of Southern Cone, which includes Argentina, said he had a close working relationship with Pope Francis when he was the Catholic Archbishop of Buenos Aires."

"He called me to have breakfast with him one morning and told me very clearly that the Ordinariate was quite unnecessary and that the Church needs us as Anglicans."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The supposed "carnival is over"..."the Ordinariate was quite unnecessary" Cardinal Bergoglio is Pope Francis of the Divine Worship Missal.

Pax.

Mark Thomas

Anonymous said...

Off the subject, but what do bloggers think of Donald Trump? I hear he will be in Macon tonight (Monday, Nov. 30). Father M. are you going?

Fr. Allan J. McDonald said...

No I no he scares me.

Fr. Allan J. McDonald said...

MT the carnival myth is apocrypha and not true. Since becoming pope he has been very encouraging of the Ordinariate. He just appointed a marvelous bishop for them in the USA. Keep in mind that he has given faculties to the SSXP to validly her confessions but passing local bishops in the process! Plus look at the new missal that bears his name!

Marie said...

Father AJMcD writes:
"...parishioners at my parish lamenting that the English for the new Mass didn't use the Old English that we had come to love by using our personal pew missals which used the "sacral" Old English in translating the Mass from Latin. Of course these Missals used translators of their own, thus the English in these missals were never official English translations of the Mass from the Magisterium."

Well, I can relate.

When my English husband died, I sent back to his family the 1962 Missal he used and cherished because it belonged to his late mother. Then I bought my own copy and was instantly "disorientated." [Okay, I'm Filipino and am easily "disoriented" by the different ways of the English language.]

For example, the Introit for the First Sunday in Advent, which I was so used to reading as: "To Thee have I lifted up my soul: in Thee, O my God, I put my trust, etc." comes out in the Knox translation as: "All my heart goes out to thee; my God, I trust in thee.."

On the introductory of the Pater Noster, our normal American English translation says: "Admonished by saving precepts and following divine instructions, we make bold to say:" But the English English translation has this: "Urged by Our Savior's bidding and schooled by his divine ordinance, we make bold to say:"

And the last Gospel, which the US English version I had memorized from childhood as, "In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God," has this UK English version: "At the beginning of time the Word already was; and God had the Word abiding with Him, and the Word was God."

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Father M thanks for answer on Trump---he reminds me of Ross Perot in 1992, a more secular candidate not accustomed to dealing with social issues. Would be interesting to know how Catholic clergy have voted in recent presidential elections (and bishops for that matter!) Of course clergy like laity have the right to keep their voting habits confidential, but one might wonder about the consistency of preaching traditional moral values and then voting for a candidate of opposite views.

The "battle" (if you will) between EF and OF is somewhat akin to the battle the Episcopal Church has had over the years with its Prayer Book---the more conservative 1928 version or the modernized 1979 one? Like some Catholics who were dismayed by the abandonment (well, mostly) of Latin from the liturgy in the 1960s, many Episcopalians did not like the revisions to their 1928 Prayer Book (though their 1979 version seemed in some ways more akin to our OF Mass---such as inclusion of the Easter Vigil in the 1979 Prayer Book). Generally, Episcopal parishes which still use the 1928 version are more on the conservative side---like historic St. Johns in Savannah or the Cathedral Church of the Advent in Birmingham (Episcopal Diocese of Alabama). The Atlanta Episcopal Diocese (which includes the Macon area, unlike the Catholic Archdiocese of Atlanta) has traditionally been more liberal than its counterpart based in Savannah (the Episcopal Diocese of Georgia), so LOL trying to find an Episcopal parish (not including the "breakaway groups") that still use the 1928 version with the "these" and "thous".

Anonymous said...

Anonymous at 11.07 made me think too because those who have a love for the TLM had to wait, what, nearly 50 years for the Mass - which was never abrogated - to be allowed to be offered according to Summorum Pontificum. Not only that but many are still waiting to be allowed a Sunday Extraordinary Form Mass in our Diocese. We have seen immigrants come into the country and be immediately given a Mass in their language where possible, but many who have been supporters of the Church over many years are ignored. There is most certainly a double standard operating in many dioceses around the world when it comes to the Extraordinary Form of the Mass and people wonder why some are bitter ... I don't think there is a group in the Church who has been as badly treated as those who love the Extraordinary Form of the Mass.

Anonymous said...

As regards Donald Trump, from afar he looks to be tackling a lot of the PC rubbish that people are so sick and tired of - he's calling a spade a spade - and that may be why he is, I believe, rising in the polls. If politicians continue on in the way they are - pandering to vocal minorities - then, yes, men like Trump may trump them at the polls because they'll get the ear of the average Joe Blow who in many ways feels they have no voice.

John Nolan said...

I was present at the Oxford Oratory on 27 July 2012 when Fr Hunwicke was ordained as a Catholic priest. His ordination had been delayed by the bishops of England and Wales because their Lordships thought that some of his blog posts implied criticism of themselves (Heaven forfend!)

Father's first Mass as a Catholic priest was celebrated the following day at the London Oratory - in the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite. The Oxford Ordinariate group shares a church in the city (Holy Rood) and has a Solemn Mass on Saturday evenings with a group of young singers (the Newman Consort) drawn mainly from the University who specialize in Catholic liturgical music, i.e. chant and Renaissance polyphony. I understand the Tridentine rather than the BCP options are used. Every Friday there is an EF Mass (until recently it was Novus Ordo Latin).
Elsewhere, bishops have entrusted existing parishes to the Ordinariate. There are two in London (one north of the river, one south).

Fr Hunwicke is a classicist who taught for many years at Lancing College. I have heard him preach when he has celebrated the EF Mass in other parishes and he is both erudite and amusing. I heard him give the final lecture at a one-day symposium organized by the Latin Mass Society and it was a tour de force. American readers of his blog should note that he employs a style of subtle irony peculiar to English academics, which accounts for his remarks about a 'Pope Francis' Missal. Note the allusion to Horace's 'exegi monumentum aere perennius' (I have made a monument more lasting than bronze). Hunwicke changes the verb to make it third person singular and in the future perfect tense. A nice example of both irony and hyperbole, since it is highly unlikely that the Pontiff, who doesn't know English, will have read Divine Worship. Unless, of course, they gave him a Latin crib for the Prayer Book options. Now that would be ironic!

Gene said...

Cruz is my first choice, but if Trump is the candidate he has my vote. I think he would make a good President and, if he could implement some of his promises, he might just truly make America great again. I can only assume that anyone who votes Democratic in the upcoming election is either a fool, an enemy of America, or a sleazy, grasping government dependent.